Posted by Brent Wilson on 4/13/2016 to FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
When placing your order for plants on WilsonBrosGardens.com we've made it easy for you to select a desired date of up to 1 months in the future for when your order will ship. We call this a "future shipping date" or "delayed shipping date." This is especially helpful for those who would like to purchase plants during winter or early spring but want to receive the plants for later planting. Delayed shipping is also helpful to time delivery of an order around vacations.
Please Note: All orders without selected shipping dates will ship within 2 to 7 business days after the day the order was placed.
Are all plants offered on Wilson Bros Gardens eligible for delayed shipping?
About 80% of the plants we offer are eligible. Some plants, such as groundcover and perennial plants that are grown smaller 3 or 4 inch size pots are not eligible due to their shorter "shelf life." If we hold them too long they will outgrow or become rootbound in their pots...and that's not the type of plants we want to ship our customers.
How do I know what plants are eligible for a future shipping date?
There are two ways to know if a specific plant is eligible for a future shipping date.
1) As shown in the image below, on every plant page in Wilson Bros Gardens you will see a SHIPPING INFO field just to the right of the main plant picture when using a desktop computer and below the picture on mobile devices. Here you can see whether or not a plant is eligible for a delayed shipping date. If the plant is eligible you will see "Choose a ship date up to 1 month in the future at checkout" in this field.
2) When you are ready to place your order and are on the Checkout page, you can choose a future shipping date for the eligible items in Step 3 of the checkout process. If the item(s) in your cart is eligible for a future shipping date you will see Select Date, as shown in the image below. Click on that and select a ship date from the calendar that appears.
What if I get to the shopping cart and the item I want is not eligible for future shipping?
If you have only one item in your shopping cart and it is not eligible for a future shipping date you will see a message in Step 3 that reads: "Selected item(s) is not eligible for delayed shipping and will ship within 2-7 days."
What happens when one or more of several items in my shopping cart is not eligible for future shipping?
If you are on the Checkout page and under Step 3 you see that you have one or more items in your cart that are not eligible for a future shipping date you will see both the Select Date field and a "Please Note" message below it that shows which item(s) in your cart are not eligible for future shipping. At this point, since all items that are not eligible for future shipping are shipped within 2 to 7 business days of placing your order, you will have to decide if you want to keep these non-eligible items in your cart. To remove an item from your cart you can return to the shopping cart page and delete the item from your order. You can click on the back arrow in the top left corner of the page to go back one page to your cart.
Can my order be shipped so that it arrives on a certain day?
Anything is possible. That said, to guarantee your order arrived on a specific day we would have to arrange for Next Day Shipping, which is extremely expensive and is not included in our methods of Free Shipping. The cost for Next Day shipping is often 2 to 3 times or more than the cost of the plant. If you must have your order next day, the best thing to do is contact us by email, phone or through the Contact Us form on the website. Let us know the plant variety and the date you would like to receive the order on and we can let you know if we can make it happen.
Other Helpful Tips & Notes
1) If you know you will be selecting a future shipping date for your entire order, in order to avoid having to remove non eligible items from your shopping cart during the checkout process, check the SHIPPING INFO field on the plant page to see if item is eligible for future shipping before adding it to your cart.
2) When a future shipping date is selected in Step 3 on the Checkout page we will ship your order within 2 to 5 days of the selected ship date. If no shipping date is selected we will ship your order within 2 to 7 days after you have placed your order. Refer to question and answer above titled: How do I know what plants are eligible for a future shipping date?
3) If you are north of our location (near Atlanta Georgia), when placing an order in late winter or early spring we suggest choosing a future shipping date that occurs at a point in time when your local weather forecasters have said that there will be no more late frosts.
Hope this info was helpful.
Plant Long & Prosper!
Questions? Contact Us